Clergy home insurance

Specialist insurance for your vicarage or second property

We offer enhanced contents cover on home insurance policies for members of the clergy. Plus, if you are paid a Church of England stipend, you may get an additional discount dependent on where you live. 

There's a difference in what we do

As a business, we are committed to doing the right thing for our customers and partners by aiming to help them address the issues that matter to them. You can read more in our Positive Impact Report. To bring our giving closer to you, we will donate £130 to your church or cathedral if you take up a new home insurance policy with us before 31 December 2022 - read more about Trust 130.

Rated the most trusted home insurance provider

We are delighted that Fairer Finance has awarded us the 1st Place Gold Ribbon for our home insurance for the fourteenth season in a row. Based on customer votes we are also the most trusted home insurance provider with the happiest customers.

Home insurance product highlights

Buildings coverUp to £750,000 building cover against a range of events such as fire, theft, subsidence, storm or flood and escape of water.
Contents cover£75,000 contents cover
Home emergency iconHome emergency cover
Legal expensesUp to £50,000 legal expenses cover
ValuablesUp to £3,500 for accidental loss or damage to personal belongings that you take away from your home

Enhanced home contents cover for members of the clergy

Your vocation means you need to keep an open door for your congregation and community - but this can present extra risks for your home contents. Enhanced cover for the clergy can include:

ExcessNo excess for theft and malicious damage at your vicarage – normally at least a £75 excess applies
Extra cover to include ministry equipmentUp to £15,000 cover for your ministry and business equipment - £5,000 more than our standard contents insurance
Business itemsIncludes items such as computers and printers; and communion sets
Items away from homeCover is also available for e.g. using your laptop away from home, perhaps in your office at the church (although it may not be left there but taken home with you) cover
clergy robesClaims for clergy robes, vestments, all other clothing and household linen will not be subject to a deduction for wear and tear
Moving homeCover for loss or damage of contents when moving home, including brittle items, whether or not professional removal contractors carry out the removal
Communion setPersonal belongings cover includes property owned or used for church business purposes
Guest belongingsGuests personal belongings cover includes the personal belongings of visitors to the home and the most we will pay for any one claim is increased to £5,000 - £ 2,500 more than our standard contents insurance
UnfurnishedAny exclusion of loss or damage caused after your home has been continuously unoccupied or unfurnished for more than 60 days, is increased from 60 days to 90 days
Domestic staffCover for secretaries under ‘domestic’ employees cover
Theft with no damageTheft cover is not restricted to forcible or violent entry or exit whilst the property is used in connection with their occupation, e.g. arrangements for weddings/christenings.

Even if you need to take out contents-only insurance because you are living in tied accommodation; you can still add cover for sheds and greenhouses, normally only included in a “buildings” policy.

We do not cover:

ChairsWear and tear with the exception of clergy robes, vestments and other clothing. (this naturally happens to all properties and possessions over time, and as such is not covered by most insurance policies)
accidental damageDamage due to lack of maintenance (the cost of maintaining your property or contents due to wear and tear is not covered by our policy)
legal expenses iconThe legal expenses cover automatically included in our home insurance policy does not provide cover for proceedings under the Clergy Discipline Measure or disputes under the Terms of Service Measure
I'm always impressed by the quality of service and the high level of customer service. First class professional service with a very personal touch

Clergy home insurance customer


We are applying automatic enhancements with immediate effect to all home insurance policies during this period to try to provide additional peace of mind. Learn more about temporary cover changes
Yes, all apart from household linen and clothing.
Household goods, furniture, furnishings, clothing, personal belongings and valuables all belonging to you or for which you are legally responsible.
If the subsidence has happened in the past 15 years then, unfortunately, we will be unable to offer a quotation for your property.
If the subsidence occurred over 15 years ago, then before we are able to offer a quotation, we would need to see an up-to-date structural engineer’s report that has been completed within the last three years. Once this has been received, we will then decide if we are able to offer a quotation for your property.
We can still offer you a quotation if your property is listed. We will need to know which Grade the building is.
Standard cover will cover your property and/or contents for the perils noted in the policy document, e.g. fire, earthquake, storm, flood and subsidence.
Accidental damage cover will provide cover for your property and/or contents for any damage caused accidently, e.g. spilling paint onto a carpet or putting a hammer through a wall whilst carrying out some DIY.
We can offer a comprehensive policy to cover your let property but this is not a specific commercial landlord’s policy.  
We do have some automatic exclusions such as Accidental Damage, Theft or attempted theft and Vandalism or malicious acts but there is an option to add this cover if required.
We can transcribe your documentation, letters and schedules using the following alternative formats:
  • Braille 
  • Large print 
  • Audio 
  • Tactile 
  • Audiobook
If you would like us to arrange this for you, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0345 777 3322.
Home insurance policies are designed to cover sudden and unexpected identifiable events such as fire or flooding to your home. 
Wear and tear, however, naturally happens to all properties and possessions over time, and as such you will find wear and tear is not covered on most insurance policies. 
The cost of maintaining your property or contents or replacing items due to wear and tear is not covered by our policy. 
There are a few simple things you can do to prevent wear and tear causing you a problem: 
  • Check your property regularly 
  • Ensure you carry out routine maintenance 
  • Fix problems as soon as they arise.
If your son/daughter stays at your property during university breaks then they will be covered for their contents. The most we will pay for contents whilst in the student accommodation is £5,000 in any one period of insurance. No cover is provided for your son/daughters contents in the student accommodation for loss or damage caused by theft to items away from your home unless force is used to get into or out of a building.
As long as you have Portable items cover under your policy then any items your son/daughter takes away from their student accommodation will be covered. The Portable items sum insured will need to be sufficient to cover the whole family. Please note that if there is more than one child at university then the £5,000 is split between them.
If your bike is under £750 it is automatically covered under the policy.  If your bike is worth more than £750 then this will need to be specified on the policy individually and will need to be locked to a permanent fixture whilst being kept in an outbuilding.
If you take your bike away from the home you will need to ensure you have opted for the Portable items element of the policy and your bike will need to be locked to a permanent fixture when it is unattended.  No cover is provided if you are using your bike while racing.
Yes. You have up to £1,000 personal money cover included on the policy. Personal money means bank notes and coins that are not part of a collection, cheques, postal orders, bank drafts, travel tickets, traveller’s cheques, postage stamps, savings stamps and certificates and premium bonds.
The cover also applies for up to 90 days in any one period of insurance, elsewhere in the world.
Using your property to carry out clerical duties in relation to your work is automatically covered. 
We also provide cover for your computers and their accessories, office equipment and office furniture, used only for clerical and administrative use up to £10,000. We do not provide any cover for your business stock.
If you have visitors to your property or if there is any other form of business use, please contact us and we will be happy to discuss this with you. 
We do offer a no claims bonus on our policy to reward customers who are claim free. We can offer a maximum of five years no claims discount but if a claim is made on the policy this is reduced to nil.
For every year you then remain claim free, you will be able to build this back up to the maximum of five years.
If you lose the keys to your home or they are stolen or there is accidental damage to the locks of the outside doors or windows we will pay for reasonable and necessary costs of:
(a) gaining access to your home
(b) repairing or replacing the locks
The most we will pay for any one claim is £1,000.
The fences at your property will be covered under this insurance but we will only be able to pay a claim for damage to any fence if the main building, garage or outbuilding is damaged at the same time.
An excess is the first monetary amount that you will pay towards a claim. Under our policies the excesses are £1,000 for subsidence, £250 for any escape of water or oil claim and £75 for any other standard claim. We do have the option to add on voluntary excesses which would be added to the already existing excesses.
We will cover the reasonable and necessary costs incurred with our consent to: locate the source of leaking water or oil from any fixed water or heating system in Your Home; and repair any damage caused in locating the source of the leak. 
The most we will pay is £5,000 for each leak.
On request we can provide cover under your contents policy for small boats (measuring less than 5 meters and not having a top speed over 15 knots), craft, surfboard or a sailboard.  
If you require cover please contact our team on 0345 777 3322.
This will not reduce the premium in any way; however your property may be in an area that requires you to meet certain security requirements. We will be able to tell you this.
If you have opted for this cover then it is provided under the Portable items section of our policy. This will cover any items that you take away from your home and on holiday so can cover mobile phones (handset only), laptops, camera equipment or jewellery.
Any items that you take away from your home that are valued over £3,500 will need to be specified on the policy individually. Cover is provided for your portable items anywhere in the world up to 90 days in total during the period of insurance
The contents in your freezer will be covered up to your contents sum insured.

If your home cannot be lived in because of damage covered by your policy, we will pay 20% of the sum insured to help you with reasonable and necessary costs of your temporary accommodation (see policy document for full details).

Yes. If you carry out some voluntary work for the church, then we are able to offer a discount for this.
Yes. We have Home Emergency cover included under your household policy. DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited handle these claims on our behalf and you can use this for anything from roof damage, plumbing and drainage, your main heating system, the domestic power supply, the toilet unit, home security to vermin.
If you need to make a claim under this section of the policy, please call DAS on 0345 268 8469.
The permanent structures within the boundaries of your home including any garages or outbuildings used only for domestic purposes and home office use, permanent fixtures and fittings including statues and fountains, hot tubs permanently fixed to the ground, wind turbines and solar panels fixed to the buildings or fixed to the ground, swimming pools, tennis courts, paths, drives, terraces, patios, walls, fences, hedges and gates as long as these are all within the boundaries of the land belonging to your property.
Yes. The contents in these buildings will be automatically covered up to £5,000
Yes. We have a 60 day ruling on the policy. After 60 days the cover on the policy may change and so we will need to know if the property will be unoccupied.
There is liability cover included on your policy automatically up to a limit of £2,000,000.

We will pay 50% of the cost of replacing undamaged items which form part of:

  • a pair;
  • a set, collection or suite; or
  • a matching or uniform design, nature or colour,
with an item that has suffered from damage that is covered under the buildings or contents section of the policy.
Visit the Association of British Insurers website and this will ask you some questions to determine the rebuild value of your property.
We define valuables as jewellery and precious metals, clocks and watches, furs, pictures and works of art, stamp, coin and medal collections.
If you need to do this then you will need to either call us direct on 0345 777 3322, write a letter or send an email to
If the work taking place is in excess of £25,000, please complete our Buildings Work Questionnaire and send it back to us.
If the work taking place will be less than £25,000, please contact us to let us know and allow us to note your policy accordingly.
Document icon [image] Watering vine illustration Good News - Regional winners 2021