Temporary accommodation for refugees displaced by conflict

29 April 2022

Ecclesiastical supports homeowners providing assistance to those displaced by the Russian invasion of Ukraine, including under the Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme, as well as refugees displaced by any other conflict in the world. The following position applies regardless of where the conflict has taken place.

This means that if you are a homeowner who insures your home with Ecclesiastical and want to temporarily house refugees who have been displaced by conflict as non-paying guests in your home, you do not need to tell us and your cover will remain the same. 
This applies for the first 12 months of any refugees living with you, including when your policy is due for renewal. After 12 months, if any refugees are still living with you, then you must tell your broker when you next renew your policy.
Within the policy wording you will find the cover, terms and conditions that apply to non-paying guests. If you wish to discuss this cover or other changes in circumstances please contact your broker.
Please contact your broker if:
  • You wish to house refugees in your home for longer than 12 months.
  • You are a homeowner who insures second homes, guest homes or rental properties with Ecclesiastical and wish to house refugees in these properties.
  • You wish your policy to be extended to include the refugees as a member of the household.

Keeping everyone safe in your home

If you are considering temporarily accommodating refugees in your home you should review safety and security arrangements to help ensure you provide a safe and secure environment for them.  If guests are bringing personal contents into your home consider how these will be stored and used, including any portable electrical equipment. 
Guests will need to safely enter and exit the property so you should review security arrangements accordingly to ensure their safety and privacy. 
If you are considering housing refugees in a second home, guest house or rental property you should raise this with your broker.
Further information specific to refugees displaced by the conflict in Ukraine has been prepared by the Government Homes for Ukraine scheme and can be accessed here - Homes for Ukraine scheme: frequently asked questions - GOV.UK 

For more information

If you are unsure about or have any questions regarding your policy cover, please contact your insurance broker.